Lately all I’ve been wanting to do is make mix CDs. I’ve been working on an epic one lately that’s meant to be encouraging/inspirational for writing; it includes such songs as “The Slow Descent into Alcoholism” by The New Pornographers and “I See A Darkness” by Bonnie “Prince” Billy. It’s really been helping.
Anyway, I told my friend Stephanie about my fixation and she was so intrigued by my need for an underlying thematic element that I immediately volunteered to make her a mix. Since, like me, Stephanie’s constantly obsessing about food, it only seemed fitting that I put together a food-centric playlist.
- “Dirty Old Egg-Suckin’ Dog” by Johnny Cash
- “My Sugar So Sweet” by Nick Drake
- “The King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1” by Neutral Milk Hotel
- “Meat” by Noise Addict
- “Oyster” by Jawbreaker
- “Pork + Beans” by Bettie Serveert
- “Cinnamon Girl” by Neil Young
- “Gimmie Some Salt” by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- “Just Like Honey” by The Jesus + Mary Chain
- “You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb” by Spoon
- “Apple Scruffs” by George Harrison
- “For The Price Of A Cup Of Tea” by Belle + Sebastian
- “(Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister” by The Stone Roses
- “Brown Sugar” by The Rolling Stones
- “Bird Stealing Bread” by Iron + Wine
- “Lips Like Sugar” by Echo + the Bunnymen
- “Apple Bed” by Sparklehorse
- “Fortune Cookie” by Pizzicato Five
- “Coffee + TV” by Blur
I’ve got to say, it came out really great. Drop me a line in the comments if you want a copy and we’ll set it up.